November in review:
- Did not get a contracting gig because I said that I wouldn't eventually want to go full-time, which is fair.
- Got a contract accepted by Client A. Started work and was able to accept payments from another country. One PR got merged, then things stalled out because I couldn't get parts of the app working on my machine. The client is cool and very reasonable, but this may end up taking a lot of time (in the calendar sense), so this kind of contract may not be sustainable re: how much money it brings in.
- Got a gig with Client B. There's things I like about it, but I found that I don't think I can do this kind of work often enough to make significant money.
- Started a scraping product POC. The concept I proved is that I don't really want to fight rate-limiting.
## Life maintenance
- Removed several objects from the house; cleared up a few piles. Things are still a bit chaotic in here, but there was a lot of cleaning this month. Put in grip stripes in the bathtub in what I feel is a pretty snazzy pattern.
- Voted, publicly commented at a school committee meeting.
- Emailled friends within what I think are reasonable reply timeframes all month.
- Did a decent (way more than enough in practice) amount of D&D prep, such that the two games I ran were run well, I thought. (TBH, the game is often fun even when I don't run them well, but I do feel bad about those times.)
- Set up my PiHole. It's been working perfectly.
- Dealt with some condo stuff.
## General education
- Only put out one podcast episode
- Read 100 pages of Piketty, then lost steam.
- Had a good at-home Thanksgiving.
- The guy got vaccinated.
- Had a good conference with the guy's teacher.
- Went on a hike with the guy's friends family. Kid socialization is tiring to set up these days, largely because of COVID. Depending on what omicron does, may it'll be easier after these vaccinations?
- Guided the guy through a short Pikmin 3 odyssey of rapture, ending in a tragic low when some of his Pikmin died.
## Audio learning
- Vocode tool instrumentation improvments, particularly on the pd side. Learned how to write pd extensions in C. Realized a big flaw in my comparisons.
- Finally got Jack working so that it can handle all of the audio on my computer.
- Made steady progress in the Puckette course, in both understanding synthesis concepts and in understanding pd.
- Wrote my first song with pd: Searching the Bog
. I liked how it turned out.
- Put together another dungeon synth demo
. Needs a few more iterations.
- Got Curse Notice mostly written.
- Made the Fucking Bible
This month felt dominated by client work, that is thinking about it, not actually doing it. I felt like this month was wasted, and I still feel bad about not pushing as far forward on the vocode tool, but now that I look at the rest of the stuff I don't feel that bad. Audio learning is happening, family and kid stuff is going well, the cleaning will have a lasting effect, and I got some fun stuff in.