- Looked into why some of the bots haven't posted in a while. For some of them, it was just that the load on the Pi was too high because of some zombie processes. 👀 Bot
and Self-Tagging Bot
stopped because sometime near the end of July, Wikipedia started giving them 403s for image requests. That one I'll have to figure out later.
- Tried comparing a raw audio version of the input file to the logged version that the vocode tool read. That didn't work, but I found out about the Audacity Sample Data Export feature. That puts out something readable. And indeed, something is wrong with how it's reading. There are very few consecutive identical samples in the original input file. It's a relief to know something for certain.
- Did another call with my dad in which we updated everything on both his old and new computers. I also found out he was using a regular USB cable to connect them, not a Thunderbolt one.
- Recorded more examples for a podcast segment.
- Went to the Halloween store to get Halloween decorations. Decorated our yard with the guy. They look like everyone else's Halloween decorations, but he was excited about it.
- On another call with my dad, I realized that although the Migration Assistant spinner was going, it actually had found the other computer. There was a picture of a computer at the top of the dialog that looked decorative, but it was actually a button. The migration started.
- Did more talking about my current thinking about jobs with the Recurse recruiters. Sounds like they may be able to find part-time stuff?
- On the third call today with my dad, we got him access to Microsoft 365 again and made sure that Excel and Firefox worked. He asked why this was so hard. Well, capitalism basically. Apple stock isn't going to go up if they tighten up migration for older users. Well, anyway, at last, he can use a computer with a working battery again.