I noticed the "random class" button Named Levels
(which I haven't looked at in months) not responding when clicked. It turned out that the API was hanging because of a bug in my Wordnok module
. That took care of the hanging. While I was at it, I ripped out caching
because it seemed unnecessary and that version of level wouldn't build on Linux. But the API still returned an error (making the web app say "sorry, there's a problem").
Hitting the Named Levels page repeatedly causes the Wordnik rate limit to be hit. So, then I realized that the cache is necessary (it's actually 250K of made-up level titles!), and I brought back the caching
Now, if, too many people are visiting, the random button won't work, but at least they'll be able to successfully look up several classes.
Past me, you were not as dumb as I thought you were!